The beginning of the negotiations with Columbia for our next contract is approaching!
WHEN WILL WE START? ⏰⏳
- In January we offered Columbia to start the Bargaining Season in March.
- First they seemed open to giving some extra time to our negotiations, however they just let us know they want to start bargaining in person at the end of April.
- They didn’t leave much space for a debate. We want every member to be able to follow the negotiations and will fight for the hybrid mode.
WHAT ARE OUR CONTRACT DEMANDS? ✊🏿✊🏻✊🏽
- At our last Membership Meeting in January, with over 60 Postdocs and ARSs, the Bargaining Committee presented the results from the Bargaining Surveys (answered by almost 800 of us! YAY!).
- The participants came up with a first draft with demands for our contract. We will be voting on these demands at our next Membership Meeting on February 23rd, 6:30pm. Stay tuned for announcements on logistics!
- Come join your fellow members and vote, vote, vote! You have the power to decide what the Bargaining Committee will negotiate with Columbia in your next Contract.
(In order to vote you must be a full union member. You can sign and authorize dues here)
In addition, you can
[Read and submit any feedback to our contract demands]
NIH WANTS TO HEAR FROM US 🌎 🧬
- United with other UAW Academic Unions we have a strong voice to advocate at Federal Agencies to improve postdocs/ARSs working conditions.
- The NIH has formed the ACD working group on re-envisioning NIH-supported postdoctoral training which is seeking input from the scientific community, particularly trainees, early-stage faculty, and others invested in the biomedical workforce, about challenges faced by the postdoctoral trainee community.
- This is an important first step towards improving our work experience and rights as postdocs/ARSs. The survey is only 8 questions and should take no more than 15min.
- Your responses will be used to help develop recommendations to address this problem which impacts U.S. competitiveness in biomedical research and innovation.
- It will close on April 14, 2023.
HELP US WRITE AND WIN OUR NEXT CONTRACT 📝 🏆
- Last but not least, our AMAZING Working Groups (Sign up here if you are interested in learning more and help the Bargaining Committee!) continue working on the Contract language and researching background information on the most important topics to build a strong case on our Contract demands.
- We will be holding Town halls to report the work done so far in the first weeks of March. Keep an eye out for those dates!
Your Friendly Neighborhood Bargaining Committee.