Dear Columbia Postdoctoral Workers,
We are excited to announce that, as a result of all of our hard work over the last few years, Columbia University today proposed a framework agreement to recognize and bargain with Columbia Postdoctoral Workers-UAW. The proposed agreement also includes bargaining with Graduate Workers of Columbia-UAW, after more than 17 years of opposition to bargaining with research and teaching assistants. This is a historic offer!
The proposed framework agreement would only go into effect if it is voted on and approved by CPW-UAW members. Read the proposed framework agreement on our website.
In short, the framework to begin bargaining includes the following:
- Columbia will recognize and bargain with both the postdoc and grad unions.
- The administration will withdraw legal action regarding our union.
- Bargaining will start no later than Feb 25 2019
- Postdoctoral organizations (like CUPS) will continue their functions.
- Mutual understanding that Columbia has the right to manage the academic mission of the University.
- Mutual understanding that the University’s equal employment and affirmative action processes will remain in place, but that the union may negotiate “additional procedures” for its members.
Since this proposed framework must be approved by the union, we will share details very soon about the voting process.
This is a historic moment for our union and much work remains to be done in order to achieve a fair contract. But we can all be proud of the hard work that has brought us to this position. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to our elected bargaining committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to each of you for your time and dedication,
Members of the CPW-UAW Organizing Committee