Columbia postdoctoral researchers make up the Columbia Postdoctoral Workers union. Now that CPW-UAW has been recognized, we have been engaging in the process of negotiating a contract with Columbia by:
- Electing a bargaining committee from among Columbia researchers.
- Based on surveys, the committee has developed initial bargaining proposals; before bargaining commenced, we, postdocs and Associate Research Scientists voted to ratify these goals;
- The committee has been meeting with university representatives to negotiate in pursuit of our bargaining goals;
- When our committee has negotiated a tentative agreement with the University they feel they can recommend, researchers will vote whether to ratify it as our first contract;
- The bargaining committee will be aided throughout by experienced negotiators and our regional UAW representatives;
- After the contract is ratified, the membership will elect representatives who help run the Union and help members with any problems they have in the workplace