CPW-UAW local 4100 Seeking full-time organizer.
Local Union representing Columbia University Postdoctoral workers seeks a full-time organizer. Staff member will support elected Union leadership in the day-to-day function of the union including:
- Provide support to Stewards and worker organizers with organizing and communications to the unit, including full-time active outreach to researchers
- Plan and lead trainings, workshops, and one-on-one assistance for Stewards and organizers on organizing best practices
- Union event planning, logistics, and turnout
- Grievance-handling and supporting researchers facing workplace issues
- Draft, design, and edit informational materials, including coordinating communications strategy and media
- Data management for 1600+ person unit
- Strategy development for issue-based and contract campaigns
Successful candidates for this highly member-facing position will have a proven track record of organizing and a people-person attitude.
- Dedication and enthusiasm for the labor movement and social justice
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to frame issues and follow messaging in accordance to the Local’s mission and principles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of common office software
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in labor organizing
- Experience with academic employment
- Familiarity with the research workplace
- Experience/familiarity with communications, marketing, presentations, volunteer coordination, and training or related as well as contractual workplace issues is a plus.
Come join a friendly progressive workplace where you can work toward improving worker conditions in a unique academic setting. We offer flexible work hours and protected vacation time.
Terms of employment: 1 year contract, salary commensurate with unit payscale, $500 bonus towards healthcare plan, paid personal time off as well as sick time.
Interested applicants should submit a resume/CV to the Executive Board at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.